Wednesday, July 7, 2010

My Treasure



Near the end of last semester I decided to take a walk by myself. There are a few people that know me well enough to know that I usually do not take walks by myself on a whim. If I am walking by myself taking in a view that I normally drive by in a hurry, there is something going on inside me, something not right. On this particular day I had projects to work on, papers to write, and instruments to practice, but I knew that I could do none of those because my heart and head were twisting in knots and spinning in circles. The only way I knew to unravel them was to go outside where it was peaceful since my normally peaceful insides were in turmoil. I was on a mission to find out how to bring the peace that I saw in the fluffy white clouds and calm blue sky back into my life.

Of course one of the reasons I was walking was because I didn’t have a car. That was part of my problem. A while back my car had a coolant leak and the repair shop told me it would cost $400. My family didn’t have the money so I bought the part and had a friend fix it. A few weeks later I was driving home and the clutch broke. The day I went on that walk, the mechanic had kept my car for three weeks and it was possible they would have to replace the whole clutch, which would cost about $1000. If my family could not afford half that price the first time my car had problems, they surely couldn’t afford this. But we had no choice.

Another reason I needed a walk was because the guy that I had been interested in randomly asked, “We are just friends, right? I would never want to lead you on or hurt you in any way, so I just want to make sure we are clear.” I had lied through my teeth and said, “Oh of course! Friends.” It felt like everything was being taken away from me, and sometime during that semester I learned how to worry.

I walked along the sidewalk noticing the quirky houses I passed and listening to my ipod. I once heard that beauty is a cure for many things, so I thought maybe if I appreciated the beauty around me it would teach me how to have peace again. I knew I needed to trust God, but I couldn’t get my heart to obey. There was too much weighing it down and squishing it onto the floor for me to lean it on God. After walking about a mile I turned around with no new revelations, nothing to alleviate my problems. Now I was worrying that I couldn’t stop worrying. My problems were taking root inside of me and growing giant trees that blocked my view from anything in the future. I couldn’t get to tomorrow if I couldn’t climb my walls of today.

Suddenly a new song came on my ipod. I have no idea why I even had this song on my ipod because I didn’t remember listening to it before and my ipod only has my favorite songs. The words started to chop down my problem trees.

Take these hands and lift them up, for I have not the strength to praise You near enough, See I have nothing, I have nothing without You.

All my soul needs is all Your love to cover me so all the world will see that I have nothing, I have nothing without You.

Take my time here on this earth and let it glorify all that You are worth for I am nothing, I am nothing without You.

The peace that I was searching for started to creep in with the haunting words, “I have nothing.” Nothing. This world could take away everything I own, but what am I losing? Only what God had blessed me with in the first place. I already had my Savior, who was the One thing I could never lose, and He was all that I needed. If I lose something, it is ok because I was only borrowing it to begin with. Nothing I have on this earth is mine. Nothing except Jesus. My problem was not that my car was breaking down or that the guy I liked did not share the same feelings, it was that I had somehow given myself a sense of ownership, as if I deserved these things. The only thing I deserve is hell, and Jesus already gave me the gift of life with Him instead. I’m the richest girl in the world, but my treasure is not of this earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment